Raw Collard Wraps with Sweet Almond Dipping Sauce

Phew! We just got back from our fantastic Rockies trip and it was oh so fun. We did some hiking and some jumping in glacier-fed lakes and rivers, some sight-seeing and some hot spring dipping. Pictures to come!

After many days on the road, and much too much junk food, I was thankful to arrive home to our bright green CSA share and a refreshing summer Food Matters Project recipe.

Alyssa chose this week’s recipe, Summer Rolls with Peanut Sauce, and I couldn’t help but envision it in the giant collard greens tumbling out of our CSA bag. After all that road trip eating (read: junking), my body was begging me for a variety of veggies… wrapped in veggies. Perhaps also dipped in a most deliciously sweet and tangy almond and sunflower seed butter concoction.

Chop up some green onions, cilantro, and red pepper, shred some beets and carrots, scoop some avocado, rinse off some kelp noodles…

Kelp noodles?! These things are awesome! I purchased them at my local raw food store, Organic Lives, and I’ve also seen them at Whole Foods.

Seaweed and other sea vegetables are rich in iodine, as well as vitamin C and iron. In fact, sea vegetables are rich in a large variety of minerals. Thanks to all that nutrient-richness, sea veggies have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties, and as well as being rich in antioxidants, they are super foods full of super goodness!

I’ve tried kelp noodles in sushi rolls before, and I thought they would make a nice replacement for the rice noodles typically found in the summer rolls from this week’s recipe. They have a really lovely crunch to them. I can’t wait to try them in some other recipes!

RAW COLLARD WRAPS WITH SWEET ALMOND DIPPING SAUCE
serves 2-4

4 large collard leaves, cut in 1/2 along the stem line and de-stemmed
2 carrots, shredded
1 large beet, shredded
1 red pepper, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
4 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup kelp noodles, rinsed

for the sauce:
2 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp sunflower seed butter
1 tbsp honey
1 tsbp Braggs soy seasoning (or tamari/soy sauce)
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp water (or more if needed to thin the sauce)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp curry powder

Roll all the veggies into a collard leaf, mix all the sauce ingredients. Dip and munch away. Enjoy!

10 comments… add one

1. Lexi August 14, 2012, 6:23 pm

I have been waiting for your post and it did not disappoint! Great job Erin.

1. Erin August 14, 2012, 6:48 pm

Lexi, your comment totally made my day! You are too kind :)

2. Elaine @ Join Me For Dinner August 14, 2012, 7:51 pm

Veggies wrapped in veggies! I LOVE it. That almond sauce is something I will try too, as we have a peanut sauce hater in this house. Thanks!

1. Erin August 14, 2012, 7:56 pm

Haha, I know, right?! And hope you like the almond sauce!

3. Alyssa (Everyday Maven) August 14, 2012, 8:25 pm

What a great interpretation! This all some of my absolute favorite things going on. I am also completely addicted to the Kelp Noodles and Collards as wraps – love it :)

1. Erin August 14, 2012, 8:33 pm

Yes! A fellow collard-wrap-kelp-noodle-lover!! Great stuff ;)

4. Lexi August 14, 2012, 9:00 pm

So, you don’t cook the kelp noodles? This is awesome. I’ll be hunting these down tomorrow!

1. Erin August 14, 2012, 9:38 pm

Yeah, there’s no need to cook them, and they likely provide significantly more nutrition when uncooked… as far as being raw, I believe the brand that Whole Foods sells is raw – Sea Tangle. I had to ask someone where they were located (in a cooler section), as I couldn’t find them on my first visit. Good luck, and let me know how you like them!

5. Lexi August 15, 2012, 6:02 pm

I was a kelp noodle salad at Whole Foods today so I am sure they sell them. I was in a hurry but I’ll stop in later this week and check it out. I can’t wait to try them.

6. Camilla August 16, 2012, 11:27 am

OOoooooOOO. I LOVE the look of these. I had thought about doing lettuce wraps, but the darker greens are even better.