A couple weeks ago, I started noticing the hashtag #elf4health in my twitter feed. It seemed to be something health-related and peer-supported, and it looked like fun. I signed up a little late, but I got on board for the final 2 weeks of the challenge, which involves staying healthy through the holidays via daily challenges and an ‘elf’ buddy to help keep you accountable.
Today’s challenge was to think of 20 things I’m thankful for. A while back, one of our profs at school had suggested we start a Gratitude Journal, noting down 3 things at the end of each day that we were grateful for. I never did end up getting started on that project, but I think I’m going to start with these 20 things, and continue on with the daily 3 for the month of January.
So here goes…
20 things I’m thankful for:
1. My loving, unique, quirky, and supportive family
2. My love and partner in crime, who challenges me to be my best and stands by me through it all
3. My health – it hasn’t always been the best, which makes me that much more thankful that things are working out for me right now
4. My friends – you special people are so dear to me, you know who you are
5. My education and the ability to continually learn new things
6. To be able to live in a vibrant neighbourhood with friendly neighbours and family and friends close by
7. To be able to live in one of (I’m biased, but still) the BEST cities in the world
8. My kitchen, and being able to experiment in it all the time
9. My job at the climbing gym, which makes me really, really happy
10. Being able to climb, which at one point I thought would never happen again (see #3)
11. The mountains and the forest, and the fact that they are only 30 minutes away
12. The ocean, which is even closer
13. My new snowshoes (and those mountains again)
14. Having family close by (not just so I can drop in and ‘pillage’ my parents’ house, as my brother says)
15. Being able to volunteer at the Farmers’ Market and having access to fresh, local, organic produce
16. Being able to go back to school to study something I’m totally passionate about (nutrition)
17. This blog, and all that I’ve learned about myself through writing it
18. Yoga/meditation/self-care that keeps me sane/grounded/present
19. The life experiences that have made me who I am (keep ‘em coming!)
20. The present moment; the path I’m on; the journey
What are you most thankful for? I encourage you to try writing out a list and I’d love to hear what comes up for you!
Wishing you all a happy, healthy, love-filled holiday season.